Sunday, April 5, 2020

Where Has All My Focus Gone?

In this time of Corona, I lack focus. I meander through the day without any purposeful plan.  I'm grateful if I have a Zoom get-together or plan a walk with a friend or organize a meal with my family  all at a distance.  These small things give me something to look forward to and focus on.

But what about the rest of the day?  What about all the directives that say how important it is to make and stick to a routine?  Why am I having trouble doing that?

I'm a list maker.  There is nothing so satisfying as making a list and then crossing stuff off of it.  And when I do something that's not on the list, I add it on and cross it off because I love the way that it looks and how it makes me feel; as if I've been accomplishing.

You would think I'd be making my lists.  The way I always do.

But I'm not.

Lord knows there are plenty of projects to do in my house...

Clean out that closet. (ALL the closets!)





















Straighten out ALL the jewelry.












Switch out the winter clothes and bring the spring/summer ones in.




And start that BIG project you've been thinking about. (That's another story.)













But it's just not happening.  



I had a productive hour a while ago.  Told myself to turn off the 27th rerun of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and I actually folded all the laundry piled up on my bed and put it all away AND made the bed for the first time in more than a week. Tonight I will not be sleeping among the clean clothes. [I just want to say those pillowcases actually match better than they appear.]


But my productivity doesn't last.  Seems I'm not the only one.

I hear about this malaise, lack of focus, from just about everyone.  And while there's clearly a minority of those who are making the most of this time at home, even able to enjoy their isolation (that's another story), for many it's a rocky, rocky road.

The readers can't read, 

                           the writers can't write, and 

                                                               the artists aren't creating.

The things that usually bring us pleasure, escape us in this time of Corona.

To all of you who are housebound, we will find our focus. 


And most fortunately... at least the gardeners are out there thriving.

--------------------------

PS All is not lost. I did finish the puzzle and here she be...

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I still have not cleaned up the clutter in my office. A seemingly simple task that feels just too hard during a time when my heart and soul are weary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are not alone in that Miz Jackie. You & Darwin stay safe and on't get lost in that HUGE home...:)

      Delete
  2. Don't be hard on yourself. I think we are all in a bit of shock and it takes time to really absorb this. It's a trauma, right? I have good days and bad. I will say I have finally found GRATITUDE! It has taken YEARS, Mel. I am grateful for delicious food and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well finding gratitude...that's certainly a gift! I feel the same about there outdoors and we know I'm NOT an outdoorsy-type. Stay well honey

      Delete
  3. Sending love from your pal in Baton Rouge… I’m soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy I’m not the only one in the universe is experiencing this!,,,

    ReplyDelete