- I'd heard the columnist/commentator (in the truest sense of the word) David Brooks say that at some point in our future, my future, minorities in the United States will become the majority. I wanted to write about — how had demographics changed?
- The Freemasons are the oldest and largest fraternity my father wasn't a joiner — my father was a Mason, in fact a Grand Mason. He wanted to be buried with his Masonic objects. There is a story to be told.
- A final post on television, My All-Time Favorite Series – Our World, profiling Battlestar Gallactica (2004), Homeland, and I hadn't gotten the third.
- Being your own medical advocate because my dear colleague and friend Dr. Meg Korpi — who has been battling cancer this past year has reminded me — (as I well knew over the 27 months of Robin's cancer, but it's almost been a year since her passing, so I needed reminding) you must be your own medical advocate. Meg is a believer, a wife, an aunt, a researcher, an educator, a comfort in the world and a dear friend, human being, advocate, beautiful shining light AND a fighter. May she win this fight in 2014.
- A look at some of the worst television we feed on as a culture and then cause the growth of more shows on
America's Worst Tattoos
My Crazy Obsession
Extreme Cougar Wives
My Teen Is Pregnant and So Am I
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
- Once there was a time BEFORE everything we ate was chemically treated. Now, it's true that you can try to avoid chemicals by eating organic and local, but you still can’t avoid what’s coming down from the sky. As our friend — and third-generation-Iowan-farmer — Aaron says, “Water knows no state lines.” We need to wake up.
- I wish I knew what was fair. I wish I could magically figure out the give and take that's mandatory — if you're going to be successful in a relationship. I think it's really hard to always make choices that match the ebb and flow of two people who are each in their own orbit of life and yet coexisting as a couple.
- Decades ago I did what I did this year— left my full-time job to go freelance. Back then I was young, single and fancy-free.
- And a set of random quotes that intrigued me:
"Have your fear, don't become your fear" Rev Ed Bacon
"I love myself exactly as I am." Deepak Chopra
Truth trumps loyalty Rushworth Kidder
"Regrets are mistakes you don't learn from..." Analeigh contestant on ANTM
"A love so profound that it allows us to forgive."
Can I live what I know?
"Look for the wealth in your life...Ben Stein aug 4 on CBS Sunday Morning
"You're making a mistake."
"I'm used to them by now." the newsroom, first episode
"You put that all together really fast." Maggie
"It's not an original story..." Mackenzie
"She's like a sophomore poli-sci major from Sarah Lawrence"
"Don't go to the well, there's no water there." Trudi to Peter on Mad Men
and my favorite
“Children begin by loving their parents. After a time, they judge them. Rarely, if ever, do they forgive them” Oscar Wilde
Well, maybe these drafts get tossed out with "the old," but, when you can, comment on which draft I should save!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!