Thursday, April 2, 2020

Back to the Jigsaw

I guess I'm ahead of the curve  CBS Sunday Morning had a feature about people dragging out their jigsaw puzzles during this time of quarantine. A few days before I'd finished my first 1000-piece puzzle in a very long time.   My stash is behind the couch.

There's a rhythm with puzzles.  Or at least there is for me.  You find all the straight edges and get your frame. Then you find some chunk to work on that's visually unique  for me it was the stripes.






Next, things start to take shape and you get more chunks done.








Then come the hard parts, where's really tough to fill in the areas that all look the same...  




But in the end, SUCCESS.  You've done it.  And this puzzle was a double whammy because it was like those I Spy books where the images were of  other things...90 other things, for example, the slats in the chairs are Milk Bone dog biscuits and that radiator next to the fridge is comprised of stubby Number 2 pencils  you get the picture. 





Our family has always done puzzles and when the kids were young we'd actually 
spray adhesive the completed puzzle on foam core and hang them on the walls.  

As an adult I've done some 
that are more Americana...

and others that are Biblical in image and difficulty.

                                                                   

Virtually all of my puzzles come from thrift stores and don't cost more than $2.  

I especially appreciate the former owners who leave a post-it inside that says, "Missing three pieces

It is a great kindness.

I don't let those missing pieces bother me in the least.

Some are fun and frivolous ...


   




...and others I just admire in the store and think about doing...but won't spend the money on.  (Though anything by Edward Gorey is awful tempting.)










Now I'm working on a puzzle that was a gift from my ex...and boy, is it a challenge; it's the front page of The New York Times on the day I was born.




This one's got a lot of hard parts  sigh  

Good thing I've got all the time in the world to read all that teeny-tiny print...



12 comments:

  1. wow, your eye for detail no doubt exceeds mine! They look so pretty and what a great way to enjoy the day and be in the moment instead of worrying non-stop. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun (more so than doing a puzzle - for me)! You establish a nice rhythm between the pictures and commentary. I have come to believe gluing puzzles and mounting them for display is a futile attempt to deny their (and our) transitory existence. Eventually, everything gets dismantled and returned to the box. Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't give me a 3 or 5000-piece puzzle...:)

      Delete
  3. Yet another way you inspire me!! I ordered a puzzle a couple of days ago, a thousand-piecer, and it'll be my first one in years. I do hope I'll be in a "what took me so long to do this again" mode instead of one where I'm pulling out my hair!!! (Nicely written, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you will find great pleasure in your puzzle Leah...at least I HOPE so!

      Delete
  4. The New York Times puzzle is a wild challenge for sure! I remember a teenaged summer when Q & D spent a lot of time in the basement working on a 2000 piecer spread out on the pool table. Very fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect puzzle pic for you, with the kitchen motif!! Reading this was a nice distraction from going through my files and boxes--but I am making slow progress and taking pics of some funny/interesting things my kids did and sending them on What's App! I had given YOU a short piece B wrote on "The Action of a Contraction" at the Uterus Disco, which you had put a sticky on saying she should publish it. I sent that to her--CR is way ahead of us, with enforced curfews from 5 pm-5 am every day for everybody and home quarantines for all the kids and non-essential workers during the day.
    So much is dependent on good leadership and our Cheeto-in-Chief has been abysmal--
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! How amazing! I loved doing puzzles with my Pre-K students, back in the day, but never went for ones so complex as the ones you've tackled. Now I see where your wonderful visual talents have been honed! Since kinesthetic abilities are more my mileu, I'm challenged to be creative with my body and music in my living room. Back when I lived in and managed a loft performance space in Hoboken, NJ, I choreographed "Kitchen Dances" and literally performed it in my kitchen. Here we are, nearly 40 years later and I'm working on "Living Room Dances". I'm not much of a home body, but I'm trying to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just re-read this one and was so struck by this sentence: "I had a productive hour a while ago." It says so loudly what I keep forgetting, which is that by necessity, we have to re-define our pre-Covid-19 standards. For me, one productive hour may as well be eight from the "before time" because it means that I actually pulled away from the anger, loneliness, apathy, and fatigue that this pandemic is causing me to do something that felt worthwhile. So thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete